Britain sees another legionella outbreak, and in a high risk building no-less. The article reads:
"A 95-year-old man who was recovering from a stroke in a council care home had died from Legionnaires' Disease.
The man was staying in The Willows Care Home in Hexham Road, Whitley when he contracted pneumonia which was found to be caused by the Legionella bacterium.
He was taken to Royal Berkshire Hospital where he died on October 30.
Reading Borough Council which runs the home has acknowledged "the possibility exists that the resident may have contracted Legionella bacteria at the care home, although that has not been established beyond doubt".
After exhaustive checks to the water system, traces of the bacterium were found in a tap.Residents, their families and staff were informed.
Spokesman for the council Derek Plews said: "The health and well-being of vulnerable residents is the council’s highest priority which is why, as a precautionary measure, we have engaged an independent expert consultant, carried out extensive testing and cleaning of the water system at The Willows and fitted special bacteria filters to all water outlets in the building.
"We believe, on the basis of expert independent advice, that our maintenance programme at the home is fully in line with the Health and Safety Executive’s Approved Code of Practice and that the risk to residents from Legionella is as low as possible.
"We are continuing to monitor the water system to ensure that this remains the case.
"We understand that residents, their families and staff will be concerned about this matter.
That is why we have taken steps to keep them updated about the situation. Residents have been given the choice of a move to temporary accommodation and one person has taken up this option.
"The council would like to emphasise that it has worked closely with the Health Protection Agency and the Heath and Safety Executive in responding to this matter.
"We have adhered to the Health and Safety Executive’s approved code of practice on Legionella before this incident and the measures taken since are over and above the HSE guidance.
"Reading Borough Council would like to express its sincere condolences to the family of the resident who passed away."
The Willows, formerly Tanfield, was completely refurbished in September last year including the renewal of much of the water system.
It has 26 beds including 15 for residents with dementia, 10 for intermediate care and one for respite care."